Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grand Opening (Virtually and Physically)

Not only does this week mark the debut of this blog, but this week marks the Grand Opening of my first retail gallery space! A dream come true. I will finally have a permanent location where I can showcase my handcrafted "carvings, castings, and cuttings" for display/purchase by the general public. The Fox Riverwalk Crafter's Den is a retail shop on Main Street in downtown Waukesha and my "space" will be on both floors -- in the stairwell and both 8-foot landing pads on each end, and next to the register on the lower level. All visitors will have to stroll by my artwork to get downstairs to see the other 50 artists/crafters.

The Crafter's Den is the lower level of the Fox Riverwalk Antique Mall, which has been in business for 7 years. Downtown Waukesha has experienced quite a "renaissance" in the arts since the revitalization project by the Business Improvement District. I'm very excited that my hometown is now considered an art destination (in addition to being the home of gold medal gymnast Paul Hamm, guitar legend Les Paul, and the BoDeans). The Antique Mall/Crafter's Den is centrally located next to the Waukesha Civic Theater (they share a wall). The place is huge (22,000 sq. feet) and has storefronts, entrances, parking, and registers in both the front and back of the store. The great thing is that it's open 7 days a week and I don't need to be there, except to update and maintain my display. The employees handle all the transactions and I just go online to check which items of mine have sold and replace them. (I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, but I will be bouncing off the walls after my first items sells!)

===
Logo Design

I've been working with the shop owner over the past few weeks to come up with a suitable logo for his new enterprise (the crafter's den). We bargained that I would help him with graphic design and signs, and he would give me a reduced rental rate on my space. Deal! The only "logo" he used for the Antique Mall portion of his business was the head of a fox. So I took that concept (since it's called the Fox Riverwalk Crafter's Den) and came up with a fox next to a flowing river. The owner loved the swirly effect of the water and the circular design that looks like an official seal.


The first item on the marketing agenda was to come up with this large banner (2.5 ft. x 4 ft.), which is being printed and should be up by next Monday, June 15 for the official opening. Do you like the cool summer colors? I'm not normally a fan of blue, green, and brown -- but somehow the design seemed to fit the purpose and the owner's tastes.

I had come up with a few other possibilities for flyers and other advertising, which I've posted below.


No comments:

Post a Comment